Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What's new?

+2
Atomic
CS85
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What's new? Empty What's new? Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:30 am

CS85

CS85
Admin

What's everybody up to? I could probably read this on twitter, facebook, the asylum, or the mothership, but who gives a shit?

http://basicallyasportsshow.com

2What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:42 am

Atomic

Atomic

Well, since you asked, I may be switching jobs soon. We're in salary talks, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm getting shit together to launch my own portfolio site (with domain name) so I can be a little more "official" in my graphics.

I still want to get my talk show off the ground: an average guy asking common sense questions to C and D list celebrities. It's a pipe dream, but whatevs.

Oh - and I'm working on a book. It's about a strange island where scientists extract DNA from fossils to re-create dinosaurs. I'm calling it "Billy and the Clone-o-saurus".

3What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:26 am

CS85

CS85
Admin

Damn, atomic. You're an enterprising bastard.

I miss the days of "projects." No doubt I'll have more of them someday, but being in a relationship triggered me to have some pause. I've been doing projects of podcasts, designs, message boards, social media, games, etc, etc. Nothing that's truly grueling but are just kind of...Things.

Working on a book is a massive undertaking, however. I've always wanted to be able to write longform but I don't have the patience or discipline. Hopefully you're able to pull it off!

I'm trying to chisel down an idea for a podcast that isn't a podcast nor anything like Basically Sports. I don't have the Greg-like enthusiasm to do more than one show a week, much less another sports show. I've been leaning toward something that's much...quieter, shorter, and more introspective (ala Paul Harvey) but without something that's overly preachy or political. I'm not capable of sharp, cutting dialogue with myself, but I feel like I've got growing to do behind the microphone and can stand to diversify.

It's sort of like the guy who sang in a death metal band but wants to do an artsy solo project so that he can show his versatility, only in this case I want to prove it to myself.

4What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:41 am

Atomic

Atomic

In my life, you're either a Mexi-can or a Mexi-can't. I have ideas, just need time to execute. My projects are my 'me-time' away from the wife and kids, and really the best way to keep my sanity. Relationships are a great thing; but at the same time, they can (and will) drive you crazy. You have BASS and your potential solo-project: those simple projects are what keeps the elements of yourself around when "you" transition to "we" or "us".

By the way, you realize that the book is an old-school Simpsons joke, right? Skinner got fired and tells his idea to Apu and Bart, when Apu goes off on Skinner for being a dumbass.

To be legit, I did work on a screenplay for a movie about the off-beat shennanigans of my life. Even went into detail about what happend to my squirrel sidekick, how I got thrown out of the building from where I worked on my day off three times in the same day and how I Indiana Jones-ed a narrow escape from a moving flatbed to the receiving dock.

5What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:24 am

Hedley

People from CCSLC follow each other on Twitter and Facebook? Why?

Weirdos.

6What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:28 am

CS85

CS85
Admin

Hedley wrote:People from CCSLC follow each other on Twitter and Facebook?  Why?

Weirdos.
Twitter's not that big of a deal, really. Facebook is far more personal, so I'm sometimes leery when I get what I think are CCSLC requests, but I just hide their shit from my timeline and move on in life.

7What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:23 am

Hedley

I guess it's just part of my mindset of not trying to meet people I 'met' online. I reserve Facebook for people I actually know....not folks I've only met once and had a beer with, and especially not for folks I've never met. That's just way too weird. There's barely a handful of folks I would even consider meeting from CCSLC, and I'm sure a majority of the members are fine folks when not on a computer...but they're still weirdos.

As for Twitter....yeah, no one from the board is remotely interesting enough to follow. I keep that outlet for media and news, and some parody accounts. Don't really care what celebrities are up to, much less Average Joe. One guy on the board got really offended when I asked what makes him an interesting-enough person to follow.

But back to the topic at hand.....thinking about a job change. As many of you know, I work for the Atlanta Hawks. Originally, I worked for the Thrashers predominately, and filled in for some Hawks games on occasion until our department consolidated the two teams. I'm not much of a basketball person, so aside from having some cool co-workers, my job has greatly lost its luster once the hockey aspect was gone. There's a sports/tournament center opening up in Tennessee next year (in an area of the country I really love) that I'm targeting. No idea what the pay would be, but the appeal of what looks to be a fun job in a place I could easily call home almost makes this a dream job.

8What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:33 am

Icecap

Icecap

Well you've gotta go where you're be happy, obviously. Though your current job sounds killer, just judging from what you've revealed about it on the mothership.

9What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 am

CS85

CS85
Admin

I hate being stuck in that kind of cycle myself. My job by rights is awesome: I get paid a pretty absurd amount of money (for me, anyway) to sit on a computer all night listening to music and watching netflix, while doing maybe 4-15 minutes of work in an 8 hour shift. I don't do anything.

Most of my night is spent browsing the internet (and when I owned a laptop doing design shit) and fucking around. I work alone most nights or with at most one other person. I see no customers and rarely ever encounter my bosses. The people here seem to like me.

The problem I have is that I have no prospects of developing at all. It doesn't feel like work and I don't have the proficiency to teach myself how to do a lot of stuff that they want me to learn (coding, shell, python, etc). I've tried but it doesn't interest me.

Also I work 3rd shift and it kind of blows. I don't mind the hours so much but I hate missing out on so much of the day and the impact it has on my girlfriend (she hates it, lol). The possibility of moving to a different shift is almost impossible unless somebody quits/dies/retires, which won't happen.

TL;DR: I have a great job but it's not going anywhere.

10What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:28 pm

Atomic

Atomic

I was in the same boat as you Andy - getting paid 40hrs a week for 15 - 30 min of work daily. My issue is that when I get too comfortable, I can get into trouble or eventually become lazy in the actual aspects of my job. I need to have a steady workflow, however I'm not wanting to keep myself "nose to the grindstone" all the time.

I remember when my old boss told me that I had maxed out in my position and that I'd only move up if someone left. That wasn't happening, so I applied within and was out of there within 3 months. Shocked the heck out of the boss, but things were good... until I got bored again. Now I'm stuck for another 2 1/2 months before I'm elligible to leave this department or I can get picked up by another company. I'm skating by, doing the minimum until I can leave and move on to better things.

With that said, I did have my out about a week and a half ago; however I had to turn it down as it was going to cost me more in benefits out of pocket and we couldn't agree to salary demands. C'est la vie.

11What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:02 pm

infrared41

infrared41

I'm looking for people for our sports production crew and I need a PBP person for Volleyball. Pay is a buck twenty-five a game and we average 8-10 games a month. All you have to do is drop everything and move to wild and wonderful Ohio. Cool 

12What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Still MIGHTY

Still MIGHTY

Volleyball in Ohio... or Volleyball in California... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cool 

13What's new? Empty Re: What's new? Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:44 pm

CS85

CS85
Admin

Still MIGHTY wrote:Volleyball in Ohio... or Volleyball in California... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cool 
Olympic volleyball on TV.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum